The Building Office, which is located at 5 Linsley Street in the Town Hall Annex, is responsible for assuring the safety of North Haven’s residents and businesses through the enforcement of all applicable building codes for new and/or existing structures within the Town. This process typically includes the review of plans and the issuance of a building permit prior to the start of construction, followed by inspections of work in progress and ending with the issuance of a Final Inspection Report or a Certificate of Occupancy when all work has been completed in compliance with and to the satisfaction of current regulations. Applicants are encouraged to check with the Department on any changes to the Permit Fee Schedule or Building Code Changes. The Building Code currently adopted by the Town of North Haven is the 2005 Connecticut State Building Code with updates.
Please note that per Town Ordinance, all Taxes and Town fees must be paid prior to the issuance of any and all Building Permits.
Permitting software (ViewPermit) was implemented to expedite the issuance of permits. This software allowed for the issuance of 448 permits on-line in 2015 and generated fees of $71,275. From January – May 2016, the ViewPermit system generated an additional 267 permits for a total of $43,759 in permit fees. Most permits are issued within 30 days of receipt and approval.
The Building Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for general assistance with Building issues; However, Building Permits are only issued in the office from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. daily. Permit fees are payable in the office by check or money order only, credit cards can only be used if you register through the online permit system first.
Building Inspectors are also available for public assistance from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and again from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily, or by appointment.
Asking questions prior to the start of a project is the safest and best way to ensure that the proper requirements are met. As defined by the State of Connecticut Building Code, the following require permits*:
- New homes;
- Additions, renovations or alterations to existing homes;
- Roofing, siding, door and window replacement;
- New or repairs to: decks, porches, sheds, pools, garages and carports;
- New Commercial buildings;
- Additions, renovations or alterations to Commercial Buildings;
- Generators, Solar PV arrays, coolers, outside storage, including pads and retaining walls;
- Installation or removal of gas, propane or oil tanks and/or lines;
- Heating, ventilation, hood and fire suppression systems, sprinkler system (new or repairs), Air Conditioning, Plumbing, Grease traps, Electrical service, wiring and low voltage;
- Installation of a fire place, pellet, gas or wood stove;
- Installation of swimming pools, safety fences for in-ground pools or any fence over 6’ in height;
- Demolition of any structure, including swimming pools, decks, sheds, etc.; and
- In general the replacement or repair of any existing structure and any new work before it is started.
*The requirement of a permit is not limited to this list.*
Inspections are made during all phases of construction. Inspections are performed Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays by calling at least 24-48 hours prior to the date of the inspection being requested.
Certificate of Occupancy and Final inspections require additional time and require a minimum of (2) work days to process the Certificate after the inspection is complete and posted. Additional fees may be assessed for inspections where the work is incomplete, or if the inspector is unable to gain entry into the area requiring the inspection. The Fee Schedule is posted in the Building Office and related information is available by contacting the Department. Applicants are encouraged to visit the Town of North Haven's Building Department website for more complete and updated information, as it becomes available.
www.northhaven-ct.gov or call (203) 239-5321 extension. 405.
During Calendar Year 2015 the Building Office issued the following permits:
Permit Type Total Construction Value
|Building General||841||$ 81,360,498|
|Plumbing||225|| $ 5,007,032
|Total Number of Permits Issued||2,255|
|Total Construction Value||$ 113,277,220|
|Total Construction Fees Paid||$ 811,531.58|
|Total Certificates of Occupancy||32|